The people of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish have been building God’s community in Selma for over one hundred years.
In 1895, a handful of Selma families thought it was time to build a Catholic church closer to home. Attending Mass in New Braunfels was a difficult trip in the “horse and buggy days.”
Their vision was realized when their wooden framed church was dedicated on July 4, 1897. Years later, when a larger church was constructed, the wooden building became the first parish school.
As the parish began to grow, a large church was built. Dedicated in 1912, was a beautiful red brick building with a tall bell tower overlooking the Cibolo Valley. Six years later the building was almost destroyed by fire. Undaunted, the parishioners of OLPH immediately began to rebuild their church.
As the decades went by our parish grew steadily. Additional land was purchased to provide a playground for the children, additional parking, a space to hold parish festivals and for cemetery #2.
In 1961, the decision was made to build a new and more modern church and for the next fifteen years it was the spiritual home for the OLPH community.
During the 1980’s the Randolph area experienced tremendous growth. It became
evident that the OLPH community had once again outgrown its church, and once again, parishioners with vision answered the call. Our present house of worship was dedicated on March 29,1987.
From 1992 to 1999, OLPH tripled in size to 2,400 families and 50 active ministries. The parish leadership responded to the need of more space and facilities by developing and implementing Vision 2000. The result of Vision 2000 was a Pastoral Center, a Child Development Center and a new Gymnasium. These buildings were dedicated in October 2006.
Today, in response to a much larger parish, 4,800 families and 80 active ministries, we have a great need for facilities that will permit us to continue to grow as a Catholic community. We need additional meeting rooms for our many organizations and ministries, multiuse rooms for both the school and religious education program, and a space where families and friends can gather for social functions.
It is by addressing these needs that we will continue our efforts to be that caring community begun over a hundred years ago—where God’s presence can be found, God’s word can be heard, God’s love can be felt … where everyone feels welcome.